Sunday, April 12, 2015

Looking to the Future


I have been watching a lot of baseball. We haven't had a great year. Some decisions have been questioned and the answer was, "We will be great next year." That made me think. We should be preparing for the future. But you know if you look for the red light down the road you might hit the car in front of you in the butt. So how do you prepare for the future without wrecking the present? 
First, look at what you have to start with. This may not be what you consider championship quality. But as a leader it is your responsibility to get them where you want them to be. 
Next, evaluate each teacher and hourly worker. What are their good points and what are the points that need growth? That's the easy part. 
Then comes the hard part. Tell them. Yep tell them. What do you see that's good? What do you see that's not as good? I struggle with this part as do most people. It's so hard. 
However, I can't build my future team by ignoring my present team. There are some really good teachers coming I know! But there are some really good teachers here already. They just need to be told what changes need to be made in order to grow. If I just let them continue to teach as they always have they will never change. That doesn't mean they can't. I am not going to throw them away and only work with the new, young teachers. My older, more experienced teachers have a lot to show us. Every few years the curriculum changes. Those teachers have been through the changes before and know how to flow with it. Most of these experienced teachers also know how to manage the classroom. 
I don't know all the answers but I do know we can't throw the baby out with the bath water. Yes we need change, but we don't have to start completely over. If you build a team with all new players you will not be successful. The experience is missing. A great baseball team marries the experienced players and the new players to build a new, stronger team. If you don't use your experience you are setting yourself up for failure. 
Quit looking so far down the road that you don't see what's right in front of you. Like the old saying, it's as plain as the nose on your face." Grow what you have, teach what you are getting, and see success in your present instead of having to wait for the future! 


3 comments:

  1. I agree that there are great teacher, some very mature, who are capable of change. Of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can't build my future team by ignoring my present team." This is such a profound statement, Monica. So often we are so focused on what we want in the future that we ignore the "now." We must work with what we have and develop the team of which we are a part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great example of comparing school teams to baseball teams. Love the idea of blending our experienced "players" with our new recruits! Focus on short term as well as long term growth. Nice post!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete