Sunday, August 3, 2014

High Five

There have been a couple of things happen lately that have made me reflect. I saw a former teacher. One that I loved and was partly responsible for me being an educator. I also ran into a couple of former students, and we spent 15 minutes just talking about their new schedule at "high school".  It made me smile to see them so excited about this new step in their life. It also made me reflect on them, my other students, and my goals for this year. What was most important to me this year? Test scores? Honor roll? Good behavior? Then it hit me. Although great test scores, grades, and behavior are important, it's not what's most important. I want the students to know that I care about them. Yes, I want them to do well in school, but their lives are most important to me. When they walk out of my school I want them to know they mattered! So as I walk down the halls this year giving high fives and fist bumps, it's important to me to talk about not just their grades, but also that game last night, that band/chorus concert, or that newest movie. So, let's get this year rolling. Get your hand up and give me five.

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Monica! Loving students and wanting them to be successful in life is what a great TEACHER does. And it's not something that can be measured, quantified, or evaluated! Have a great year!
    Jennifer
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica,
    I love how your focus is on the whole student. Far too often we lose that focus. It's vital that we get to know--truly know--our students beyond our classroom. We need to know about their pasts, their families, their neighborhoods, etc.

    Good luck in 2014-2015!

    ReplyDelete
  3. High five! That connection and caring is the foundation for learning and growth!
    Enjoy!
    Dana

    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! Your post reinforces for me that heart matters most. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica,
    I totally agree - the most important gift I can give my students is the proof that I care about them as individuals. So grateful for my colleagues like you that share the same conviction. My hand is up ready to give you five!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank y'all so much for these comments! I didn't realize how "personal" blogging would be. I really appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how everything comes back to relationships. Thanks for sharing your post with us, reinforcing that relationships should be our primary consideration. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete